Many third parties make accessory bands for Apple Watch and sell them at affordable prices. The emergence of these third-party bands came from the consumers' desire for more.
Yes, Apple has a variety of bands you can choose from. However, there are still some Apple Watch users that prefer a different kind of style or design. Most third-party bands are sold through eBay or Amazon.
Why do people buy third-party Apple Watch bands?
Admit it or not, the thing about Apple Watch bands is that they are expensive. There are also times that it doesn't match your ever-changing fashion style.
Here are some of the reasons why some people prefer to purchase third-party Apple Watch bands.
- Affordability. Some genuine Apple Watch bands are just as expensive as the watch itself. Third-party developers create bands similar to what you can see in the Apple Watch store. But the cost is significantly lesser compared to the bands sold by Apple.
- Style and design. The material used in third parties bands has a wide variety of options. There are silicone, leather, nylon, stainless steel, among others. You can choose which material you wanted to use for your preferred style of the day. You may also pick out which one to use for a specific occasion.
- Color. If you look at the choices of bands at the Apple Store, you'll notice that they only have single-colored bands. Third parties, however, have straps with more than one color. For example, the mosaic strap that goes with any color of dress or clothes you wear.
Apple Watch bands vs third-party bands
- Quality. Naturally, you can be assured that the items you buy from Apple are made of top-notch materials. Apple Watch bands are no different. Yes, it may cost you several dollars but you can definitely tell that it's worth the price. Third-party bands, despite looking identical, don't have the same quality as the real thing.
- Material. While third parties use more variety of materials used for their bands, you could feel the difference from the Apple-made bands. For example, third-party sport bands are usually made of silicone while genuine Apple Watch sport bands are made out of fluoroelastomer. Fluoroelastomer is similar to silicone but it is more resistant to heat, oils, and moisture. Silicone, on the other hand, is not as resilient as the aforementioned material.
- Durability. Since Apple Watch bands are made of top quality materials, you can be assured that it's durable. Third-party bands, however, will show signs of wear and tear after only two to three months of use. As such, Apple Watch bands will last longer than third-party bands.
Are third-party bands safe to use?
As mentioned above, third-party bands will show signs of wear and tear after brief use. You will notice that the outer layer of the band will begin to rub off.
Some bands will also have their ends slowly coming apart after a few months of use. This will make you feel uncomfortable when using such bands.
So, are third-party bands safe to use? Should you use third-party bands? Weighing the difference between third-party-made bands and Apple-made bands, you can tell that the answer is "no." Why?
- Size. Bands made by third parties may not fit you properly. You shouldn't assume that just because the maker said it's compatible with Apple Watch, it will fit your watch. The third-party band that you're thinking of purchasing may not fit your specific wearable.
- Interference. According to Apple, third-party bands may interfere with the Apple Watch wrist detect feature. They may also interfere with Compass on Apple Watch Series 5, Apple Watch SE, and Apple Watch Series 6.
- Skin problems. There are some third parties that use low-quality materials to create their bands. This may explain why these bands are cheaper than the Apple Watch bands. However, this also means that the bands may contain materials that cause skin sensitivities or other health problems.
Third-party accessory bands may also damage the Apple Watch. As such, if you want the best results, you should use only Apple-branded or Apple-authorized bands.
How to clean Apple-branded bands
Apple-branded bands are indeed made of quality materials, this will last for a long time. However, this does not mean you'll just leave it exposed to the elements.
Here are the steps on how to clean your Apple Watch bands. This cleaning procedure only applies to Apple-branded bands. Before following these steps, make sure to remove the band first from the Apple Watch.
How to remove the bands?
- You should press the band release button on your Apple Watch.
- Slide the band across to remove it. If you are having trouble removing the band, press the band release button again.
How to clean the leather portions of the bands:
- Wipe them clean with a non abrasive, lint-free cloth. It should be lightly dampened with fresh water.
- After cleaning, you should let the band air dry thoroughly before reattaching to Apple Watch.
- Don't store leather bands in direct sunlight. Also, you should avoid exposing it to high temperatures or in high humidity.
- Don't soak leather bands in water. Remember, leather bands are not water-resistant.
For all other bands and clasps:
- You should wipe them clean with a non abrasive, lint-free cloth. Lightly dampen the cloth with fresh water.
- Dry the band thoroughly with a non abrasive, lint-free cloth before you reattach it to the Apple Watch. Remember, stainless steel bands are not water-resistant.
The decision to use third-party bands or Apple-branded bands is up to you. If you don't have the budget to purchase an Apple-branded band, the third-party option is for you.
However, you should keep in mind that the quality of the band will not be as good as the genuine band. Another thing to think about is whether the third-party company where you will be buying your band is trustworthy or not.
You should also consider if the third-party band you are planning to purchase is comfortable for you to use.
If you decide to buy Apple Watch bands, you may browse at Spartan Watches. You can guarantee that the Apple Watch bands it offers are genuine and of high-quality.