Is the Apple Watch waterproof? No. However, it is water resistant. All Apple Watch models are water-resistant to a greater or lesser extent.
That means you can wear and use your Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands. If water splashes onto the Apple Watch, you can wipe it off with a non abrasive, lint-free cloth.
Unlike most electronics, the Apple Watches don't use the IP water resistance rating. Instead, Apple uses the standard rating method for watches, which is based on depth.
But the thing is, being rated 50 meters doesn't mean you should take it anywhere near 50 meters. That's because the rating only means that in lab tests, the Apple Watch can withstand the amount of pressure you'd find at that depth. If you test that yourself, you could damage your Apple Watch.
As such, if you need a smartwatch that you can use for scuba diving or freediving, you should get one that doubles as a dive computer.
It is also important for you to know that your Apple Watch is not designed to withstand repeated high-energy impacts. But jumping into a pool or ocean is no problem.
Apple Watch Models and Water-resistance
Keep in mind that water resistance is not a permanent condition and may diminish over time. Moreover, Apple Watch can't be rechecked or resealed for water resistance.
That's why Apple suggests that you need to know what may affect the water resistance of your Apple Watch as well as what should be avoided. Here are some of them:
- Dropping your Apple Watch or subjecting it to other impacts.
- Exposing your Apple Watch to soap or soapy water while showering or bathing.
- Exposing your Apple Watch to perfume, solvents, detergent, acids or acidic foods, insect repellant, lotions, sunscreen, oil or hair dye.
- Exposing your Apple Watch to high-velocity water, like water skiing.
- Wearing your Apple Watch in the sauna or steam room.
If you are using your Apple Watch during workouts or heavy sweating, you should clean and dry the device as well as its band and your skin.
If you just used it for swimming, you should gently rinse your Apple Watch with warm tap water. And if they're exposed to fresh water, dry the Apple Watch and the band thoroughly.
The following are the Apple Watch models and their water resistant levels:
- Apple Watch Series 1 and Apple Watch (1st generation). These smartwatches are splash and water resistant. But Apple doesn't recommend submerging these devices underwater. That's because they only have a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) standard 60529.
- Apple Watch Series 2 and newer. These devices can be used for shallow water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. They have a water resistance rating of up to 50 meters of depth under ISO standard 22810:2010.
However, you shouldn't use the Apple Watch Series 2 and newer for scuba diving, water skiing, or other activities involving high velocity water. You should also avoid submerging them below shallow depth.
Yes, you can use the Apple Watch Series 2 and newer while in a shower. But Apple advises not to expose these devices to soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, and perfumes. That's because these products can negatively affect water seals and acoustic membranes.
What are the Best Waterproof Bands for Your Apple Watch?
While the Apple Watch device is not waterproof, the same could not be said for the watch bands. There are actually waterproof watch bands available in the market.
There are bands that are not appropriate for water use. This includes the stainless steel and leather bands, which are not water resistant and shouldn't be exposed to liquids.
How about the Milanese band? Is it waterproof? According to Apple, the Milanese Loop Band should not be worn when swimming.
The following are some of the bands you can use together with your device while swimming or doing beach activities.
- Spartan Watches Silicone Band. Spartan Watches has a Silicone Band for Apple Watch that is smooth, colorful and flexible. The band is made from premium quality silicone material that is soft to the skin. This makes it extremely comfortable to use.
The Silicone Band has a simple and easy pin-and-tuck closure. This secures your device comfortably around your wrist while giving you the option to adjust on-the-go easily.
- Apple Braided Solo Loop. This band is made from a stretchable soft silicone material that's threaded to feel soft. You will find that the Apple Braided Solo Loop is more formal than other Apple bands. It is also sweat and water resistant.
- Carterjett e Apple Watch Band. This band is excellent, lightweight, easy to handle, and adjustable. The Carterjett e Apple Watch Band allows proper air circulation and has silicone material. You will notice that there are no screws in this band. But this band has a strong bonding.
- Apple Sport Loop. Nylon bands are among the bands that you can use while swimming. The Apple Sport Loop is soft, breathable, and lightweight. It features a hook-and-loop fastener for quick and easy adjustment.
The Apple Sport Loop has a double-layer nylon design with dense hoops on the skin side. This provides soft cushioning while allowing moisture to escape. On the reverse side of the band, the attachment loops are securely anchored for superior durability.
- Yigko Apple Watch Band. This silicone band is made from high-quality material that goes perfectly with your skin. You will find that after wearing this watch band, you will feel good because of its weight.
The belt in this band is also water resistant. There is no chance of rusting as all the metal plugs consist of stainless steel.
- Haveda Leopard Apple Watch Band. Do you fancy yourself wearing an exceptionally unique watch band? The Haveda Leopard Apple Watch Band is the right one for you.
This watch band is not only dirt and water resistant, it is also rust resistant. This strap is made of high-quality elastomers, making it blend well with your skin. And if you are worried about the prints fading, there's no need as the prints won't vanish with time.
Share this post
- Tags: Apple, Apple watch, APPLE WATCH BAND, APPLE WATCH BANDS, SPARTAN WATCH COMPANY, SPARTAN WATCHES