The Apple Watch is one of the popular wearables usually worn by athletes and health enthusiasts. This device has more advanced functions that help monitor your health and fitness.
Some Apple Watch includes pandemic-worthy features, something you need with the current health situation. These features are blood oxygen monitoring and automatic handwashing detection. Others include more run-of-the-mill ones like sleep tracking, elevation changes, and aerobic fitness.
Due to the capabilities of Apple Watch, both as an extension of your iPhone as well as a fitness tracker, it is one of the best wearable you can use while working out.
What Can Sweat Do to You and Your Apple Watch Band?
It's natural that you sweat when you work out. Sweating actually helps cool your body down and prevent you from overheating.
Sweating profusely during a workout is also not uncommon. You see, there are some people who sweat more than usual when they work out due to several reasons. Such as the level of exertion, the clothing they wear, or the indoor or outdoor temperature.
However, if you are using your Apple Watch while working out, you should be aware of what sweat can do to your Apple Watch band and to you.
- Can cause your Apple Watch band to smell. Everyone knows that prolonged use of your watch band can cause your wrist to sweat more, especially when you are doing workouts. This will result in your Apple Watch band and your skin to have an unpleasant smell.
- Can cause rashes. Moisture on your watch band can cause irritation, however, for most people, what causes rashes is sweat. It's because sweat is comprised of salt. The reason people can get these kinds of itchy rashes is, as the sweat dries, it deposits salt on the skin. Your Apple Watch band then rubs against the salt deposit, causing more irritation.
What are the Best Apple Watch Bands for Your Sweaty Wrist?
If you naturally have sweaty wrists, and not because you are working out, the best band you can use together with your Apple Watch is the leather band. The leather absorbs the sweat and dirt which are inevitable when you wear your device regularly.
- Apple Sport Band. The sport band is the basic band that is durable and strong, yet surprisingly soft. This band is made from a custom high-performance fluoroelastomer. The smooth, dense material of this strap drapes elegantly across your wrist.
The sport band actually feels comfortable next to your skin. It is made of nicer materials than the knock-offs you will find on certain auction sites. As such, you can be assured that you are not going to end up with odd things happening to your skin after a few hours of wear.
- Apple Sport Loop. This band is soft, breathable, and lightweight. It has the hook-and-loop fastener which would make it easier for you to adjust for a perfect fit during workout.
The Apple Sport Loop is hard-wearing and comfortable. It is made from double-layer nylon weave with dense loops on the skin side. This provides you with soft cushioning while allowing moisture to escape.
- Apple Solo Loop. The Apple Solo Loop is made from liquid silicone rubber. This band features a unique, stretchable design with no clasps, buckles, or overlapping parts. This makes the band ultra comfortable to wear and easy to slip on and off your wrist.
Each band is specially treated with UV to give the band a silky, smooth finish. The Apple Solo Loop is swim-proof and sweatproof, so it can go just about anywhere you want to wear it.
- Apple Nike Sport Band. This band is simple, stylish and will not suffocate your skin. The Nike Sport Band has the toughness and design of the normal sport band. However, it also has the compression-molded perforations or holes.
The holes actually make a big difference to the long-term comfort of the Apple Watch because they enable your skin to breathe under your strap.
What You Should Do to Prevent Skin Irritation while Using Your Apple Watch Band?
The most effective solution is to always keep your watch band clean if you don't want to experience skin irritation or rashes.
Cleaning your watch band regularly can help reduce the unpleasant smell in your band which is caused by sweat. It will also help keep you away from microorganisms that can cause illness. Here's how to clean your watch band:
- Cleaning your Apple Watch sport band. Sport bands, particularly from Apple, are made of material called Fluoroelastomer. As such, if you are planning on cleaning your sport band using isopropyl alcohol, Lysol, or hand sanitizer, it is not going to work.
What you should do first is to wipe your sport band clean with a non-abrasive, lint-free cloth. You can lightly dampen the cloth with fresh water. Before you attach your band to your smartwatch, you should remember to dry your sport band using a non-abrasive, lint-free cloth.
Another way you can clean your Apple sport band is to use dish soap. First, you should wet your fingers and use it to massage a tiny drop of dish shop into the band. Next, rinse your band with cool water. Dry your band and reattach it to your Apple Watch.
- Cleaning your silicone or rubber Apple Watch band. Did you know that silicone and rubber are some of the most popular materials used for watch bands? In order to handle both grime and odors in your silicone and rubber watch bands, you can use baking soda.
What you should do first is to mix about a tablespoon of baking soda in a small bowl with enough water to make a thick paste. Next, you remove the band from the watch and use your fingers or a thin rag to apply the paste. Leave your band for 5 to 10 minutes. After that, rinse your band with cool water. Dry it and reattach it to your Apple Watch.