If you’ve had your Apple watch for a while, you might know the struggle of your release button getting stuck.
In this article, you will learn why the release button on your Apple Watch gets stuck and seven steps to getting your release button unstuck.
p.s. Read until the end to discover a secret bonus tip!
If you prefer visual learning, click play on the video below:
Why does your release button get stuck?
Swapping bands becomes impossible when the release button on your Apple Watch gets jammed. But, you can rest assured that this is normal and happens to many people who wear the Apple watch regularly.
Like us at Spartan Watches, you may wear your Apple watch A LOT. You might wear your Apple watch to the gym or where you sleep, you might wear it while you get a bite to eat or even when you go out dancing with friends.
Your release button may be full of nasty grime built up over time. With all the adventures and places you go with your Apple Watch, can you imagine all the gunk that can get stuck there?
Steps To Get Your Release Button Unstuck:
- Firstly, turn off your Apple watch and remove any case you might have on it.
- Press the release button and gently "wobble" the band back and forth (DO NOT FORCE IT).
- A small brush or old toothbrush may help you loosen excess dust, dirt, lotion, or gunk stuck in the band slots and release buttons.
- Run your Apple watch over warm water for 15-20 seconds directly over the release buttons.
- You might want to try dabbing a swab in WD 40 or rubbing alcohol and applying it to the release button.
- Begin pushing the button down slightly to start releasing it (you may see some dirt and grime come out as you slide your old band out.)
- We recommend carefully cleaning the connector hole inside before you slide in your new Apple watch band.
Bonus tip: If you know that your release button is stuck due to it being full of dust or gunk, try using a vacuum cleaner to suction out as much of that grime as you can. The goal is to get your release button as clean as possible and run through the previous steps again.
If you are still experiencing issues with the release button on your Apple Watch, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, and you will get help from the Apple watch experts on our team.
There is another reason why your band may get stuck!
With some apple watch cases, oil or gunk can get stuck either into the watchband channel slot or onto the ends of the bands themselves. The following are some of the things you can do in such situations:
- Use a non-ammonia cleaner. The watch band channel slot is probably in need of a thorough cleaning. You can use a non-ammonia cleaner when you clean the channel slot and the ends of the band.
- Use warm water and dish soap. Believe it or not, you can clean the connection point of the band with some warm water and dish soap. Ensure that no oil or gunk is left so the band won't get stuck again.
- Use an ULTRAVUE Watch Cleaning Kit from amazon. Many of our team members use this kit to clean their own Apple Watches and prevent their bands from ever getting stuck again.
If the solutions above don't work for you, we recommend you schedule an appointment with Apple Store Genius Bar.
Do you know how to change your Apple watch band?
All Apple Watch straps have the exact sliding design mechanism, whether you buy them from Apple or another brand.
Before swapping watch bands, you have to make sure that you use the right band for your Apple Watch. That means a band that corresponds to your Apple Watch face size.
You can find the size engraved on the back of your Apple Watch. Next to the Apple Watch model information, it's on the top right around the wrist sensor.
Steps to remove the band off your Apple Watch safely:
- Place your Apple Watch face down over a clean surface.
- Hold down the band release button, then slide the band across to remove it. (TIP: Make sure you turn off your Apple Watch, so you don't accidentally tap anything.)
- If the band doesn't slide out, press the band release button again and make sure that you hold it down.
- Once the band slides out, you can release the release button. If the band does not slide out, try pressing the release button again, ensuring you hold it down.
- Make sure that the metal piece on the band is facing you, then slide it in until you hear a click.
- Repeat the same process for the remaining strap.
How to install your new Apple Watch band
Installing your new band will be even easier than removing the old one.
- Make sure the metal piece on your new band faces you.
- Tilt your new band a little to align with the angle of the Apple Watch's connector slot.
- Slide the new band in until you feel and hear a soft click.
TIP: If you don't feel or hear a click, try sliding the band out, then back in again. P.s. You can change your Apple Watch face to match your new band!
If you found this helpful, please share this article to spread the value to other Apple Watch users. Subscribe to learn more about your Apple Watch and know when our store is having a sale on new bands for your Apple Watch. Thank you!
*This post contains affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site at no additional cost to you.