Have you experienced getting a message: "Charging with this accessory is not supported by Apple Watch?" Don't worry, and this is not a "you" problem.
You see this alert on your Apple Watch for several reasons. It can be because your accessory needs to be fixed, damaged, or Apple-certified. It can also be due to the accessory not being supported by your device. Or your iOS device has a dirty or damaged connector. If you want to solve this issue, follow Apple's instructions.
According to Apple, when charging your Apple Watch, you must check that all plastic wrap has been removed. Ensure you remove the plastic wraps from both ends and sides of the charging cable. You should also check closely on the head of the charger. You should also ensure that the back of your smartwatch and the head of the charging cable is clean and dry. You can clean them with a non-abrasive, lint-free cloth.
Check if the charging head is correctly aligned with the back of the Apple Watch. The concave or curved side should be touching it fully. Some watch dock stands, cases, or protectors might hinder this. So if you are using any of these accessories, try charging the watch by connecting it directly to the charging cable without using them.
You should test using another genuine Apple Magnetic Charging Cable. This is so you can check if your Apple Watch is not the one at fault here. How about charging your Apple watch by plugging the cable into mains power? You should check the following:
- Check the USB connector on the Apple Magnetic Charging Cable. Make sure that the connector is pushed fully into the USB Power Adapter.
- Check the USB Power Adapter. It should be pushed fully into the power outlet.
- You can try using different adapters, such as:
- The Apple USB Power Adapter was supplied together with the Apple Watch.
- The Apple 5W (iPhone) or 12W (iPad) USB Power Adapter.
- The Apple-certified (MFi) third-party 5W USB power adapter.
- It would help if you tried using a different power outlet. Make sure that it is known to be working correctly.
If no other suitable power adapters are available, you can try charging by plugging the cable into a USB port on a computer. Make sure that you use a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port. The computer should remain turned on and awake, and the cable should be plugged directly into the computer. If the ways mentioned above don't work, you can restart your Apple Watch or unpair and re-pair your smartwatch.
To Force Restart, you must press and hold both the side button and the Digital Crown of the Apple Watch. Do this for at least 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo.
If all else fails or you think the issue is due to a particular component (adapter, cable, or watch), you should contact Apple Support. You can also make a Genius Bar reservation to have your product/s checked. If it's necessary, you can be serviced under warranty.
WHAT IS AN APPLE WATCH CHARGER NOT SUPPORTED ERROR AND WHAT CAUSES IT?
An "Apple Watch Charger Not Supported" error is a message that appears on your Apple Watch when it is connected to a charger that is not recognized or supported by the device. This error message typically indicates that the charger is not providing sufficient power to the watch, which can prevent the battery from charging or cause the charging process to be interrupted.
There are several potential causes of an "Apple Watch Charger Not Supported" error, including:
- Using a non-Apple charger: Apple Watch chargers are designed to provide the specific voltage and current required by the device. Using a non-Apple charger that does not meet these specifications can cause an error message to appear.
- Damaged or defective charger: If your Apple Watch charger is damaged or defective, it may not be able to provide the necessary power to the device, causing the error message to appear.
- Dirty or corroded charging contacts: If the charging contacts on your Apple Watch or charger are dirty or rusty, they may need to be able to establish a proper connection, causing the error message to appear.
- Outdated software: In some cases, an "Apple Watch Charger Not Supported" error may be caused by outdated software on either the watch or the charger, which can prevent them from communicating properly.
Suppose you experience an "Apple Watch Charger Not Supported" error. In that case, it is important to address the issue promptly to ensure that your watch is charging correctly and the battery is not damaged. To do this, try cleaning the charging contacts, using an Apple-approved charger, and ensuring that your watch and charger are running the latest software updates. If the problem persists, you may need to contact Apple Support for further assistance.
CAN I CHARGE MY APPLE WATCH WITH ANY CHARGER?
No, you cannot charge your Apple Watch with just any charger. It is recommended to use an Apple-approved charger specifically designed for the Apple Watch to ensure that it provides the correct voltage and amperage required to charge the device safely and efficiently.
Using an incompatible or non-Apple charger may cause an "Apple Watch Charger Not Supported" error message, which indicates that the charger is not recognized or supported by the device. In addition, using a non-Apple charger can damage the battery, reduce its lifespan, and void the watch's warranty.
Suppose you need to charge your Apple Watch on the go. In that case, consider purchasing a portable power bank or wireless charging pad to be compatible with Apple Watch. To avoid any potential issues, it is best to use the charger that came with your Apple Watch or purchase an Apple-approved charger designed specifically for your device.
HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT AND FIX THE APPLE WATCH CHARGER NOT SUPPORTED ERROR
If you're experiencing an "Apple Watch Charger Not Supported" error message, there are several troubleshooting steps you can try to fix the issue:
- Check the charging cable: Make sure that your charging cable is not damaged or frayed. If you see any damage, replace the cable with a new one.
- Clean the charging contacts: Use a soft, dry, lint-free cloth to wipe off the charging contacts on the Apple Watch and the charging cable.
- Restart the Apple Watch: Try restarting your Apple Watch by pressing and holding the side button until the "Power Off" slider appears, then sliding the slider to turn off the device. After a few seconds, press and hold the side button again until the Apple logo appears to turn it back on.
- Update your software: Ensure your Apple Watch and iPhone are running the latest updates. To check for updates, go to the Watch app on your iPhone and select "General"> "Software Update."
- Use an Apple-approved charger: Make sure you are using an Apple-approved charger specifically designed for the Apple Watch.
- Reset your Apple Watch: If the issue persists, try resetting your Apple Watch to its factory settings. To do this, go to the Watch app on your iPhone and select "General"> "Reset"> "Erase Apple Watch Content and Settings." This will erase all data from your watch, so back up any important information first.
If none of these troubleshooting steps resolve the issue, contact Apple Support for further assistance.
TIPS AND TRICKS TO AVOID FUTURE APPLE WATCH CHARGING PROBLEMS
Here are some tips and tricks to avoid future charging problems with your Apple Watch:
- Use an Apple-approved charger: Always use an Apple-approved charger specifically designed for the Apple Watch. Using an incompatible or non-Apple charger can cause damage to your device and potentially void your warranty.
- Check your charging cable: Inspect it regularly to ensure it is not damaged or frayed. If you notice any damage, replace the cable with a new one.
- Keep your charging contacts clean: Use a soft, dry, lint-free cloth to regularly clean the charging contacts on your Apple Watch and charging cable.
- Avoid extreme temperatures: Keep your Apple Watch and charging cable away from extreme temperatures. Charging your device in high or low temperatures can affect the battery life and cause damage to your device.
- Keep your Apple Watch updated: Ensure your Apple Watch and iPhone run the latest software updates. Software updates often include bug fixes and optimizations that can help improve charging performance.
- Adjust your settings: To conserve battery life, you can adjust specific settings on your Apple Watch, such as the brightness level, haptic feedback, and background app refresh.
- Use a wireless charging pad: If you frequently travel or need to charge your Apple Watch, consider using a wireless charging pad to be compatible with the device.
These tips and tricks can help ensure your Apple Watch stays charged and functions appropriately.
WHAT ARE THE BEST APPLE WATCH CHARGERS?
Choosing a suitable charger for your expensive Apple watch is essential. People purchase an Apple Watch because they are fans of the iPhone brand and its unique design.
Here are some of the Apple Watch chargers you can buy:
1. 3-IN-1 WIRELESS CHARGER STAND - Discover a new way to charge with your new advanced-design 3-in-1 wireless charger stand. Quickly charge three Apple devices simultaneously while you sleep. Save time, avoid tangled cables, and enjoy getting compliments with your new wireless charger stand for your iPhone, Apple watch, and AirPods.
2. WIRELESS CHARGER PAD FOR APPLE DEVICES - Reimagine how and where you charge with your new advanced-design 3-in-1 wireless charger for Apple watch, AirPods, & Apple iPhone. Quickly charge three devices at the same time. This charger starts the moment you place down your device. You will no longer need any cord to plug in and out, just place your device on the charger pad. Now you are free to enjoy your wireless and limitless charging experience.
3. PORTABLE CHARGER FOR APPLE WATCH - Enjoy saving time and avoid tangled cables with this wireless travel charger for your Apple watch. Made with strong magnetic absorption allows for easy adjustments without deviating from the charging center. Simply plug the portable charger into a USB charging device and experience convenient charging anywhere you go.
If you found any of this helpful, please share this post to spread the value to other Apple Watch users. Subscribe to our newsletter to learn more about your Apple Watch and receive exclusive deals when our store is having a sale.
*This post contains affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site at no additional cost to you.