Have you ever experienced buying the perfect band for your smartwatch but you found out it did not fit or it's not actually compatible with your device?
The type of band you wear on your smartwatch can vary widely by the type of material it is made from. It also varies by its length and width, and lug style. There are smartwatch brands, like Apple, that will only support certain types of straps for their various models.
That means Apple Watch bands are not compatible with any other smartwatch brands. That's because Apple designs their bands to only fit Apple Watches. Most of the other smartwatch bands actually universally use a quick-release lug style.
What are the Factors to Look at When Buying a Band?
An Apple Watch strap is adjustable, however, the size of the case is crucial to get right before purchasing. Apple has a new size standard for its smartwatches. You will notice the sizes are now 40mm and 44mm instead of 38mm and 42mm.
As such, when you are choosing a strap, you should pick the 40mm size for the 38mm model and 44mm size for the 42mm model.
- Band material. You should choose a band material that matches what you will be using your Apple Watch for. Are you using it for fitness tracking? Then you will want to go with a silicone band over a leather band.
- Lug type. The lug type can be described as the mechanism that connects your Apple Watch to your watch bands.
- Band width. Every smartwatch has a specific band width that is compatible with it. That's why when you are shopping for a watch band, you should pick the strap with a band width that is compatible with your Apple Watch.
- Band length. There are smartwatch bands that come in small, medium, and large sizes. These sizes are referring to the band length in relation to your wrist's circumference. As such, just like the band width, you should choose the strap with the band length that will provide a perfect fit for you.
What are the Best Bands for Your Apple Watch?
Did you know that the material and tightness of the band are what actually affects the comfort more? Apple itself has a full guide to the specifics of each of its own band types. Some of which you will have to choose a size for when buying, and some which come with both a S/M and M/L strap for you to pick from.
The following are the best bands you can use together with your Apple Watch.
- Apple Solo Loop. This band is made from liquid silicone rubber. The Solo Loop features a unique, stretchable design with no clasps, buckles, or overlapping parts. This makes the band ultra comfortable to wear and easy to slip on and off your wrist.
- Apple Sport Band. The Sport Band is made from custom high-performance fluoroelastomer. This strap is durable and strong, yet surprisingly soft. This excellent all-rounder is made of nicer materials than the knock-offs you will find on certain auction sites. This means you are not going to end up with odd things happening to your skin after a few hours of wear.
- Apple Braided Solo Loop. Each Braided Solo Loop band features a unique, stretchable design. It makes the band ultra comfortable and easy to slip on and off your wrist.
This band is created by weaving 16,000 recycled polyester yarn filaments around ultra thin silicone thread. It is made by using advanced, precision-braiding machinery, then laser cutting the band to an exact length for a custom fit. The Braided Solo Loop offers a textured feel and is both sweat and water resistant.
- Apple Sport Loop. This soft, breathable, and lightweight band features a hook-and-loop fastener. This is for quick and easy adjustment. The band is also hard-wearing and comfortable.
The Sport Loop is made from double-layer nylon. It has a clever design on the skin side that uses larger loops for cushioning and breathability. On the reverse side of the band, the attachment loops are securely anchored for superior durability.
- Apple Nike Sport Band. This band is simple, stylish and will not suffocate your skin. It is made from a custom high-performance fluoroelastomer with compression-molded perforations. Those holes make a big difference to the long-term comfort of the Apple Watch because they enable your skin to breathe under the strap.
This makes the band durable and strong, yet surprisingly soft. The smooth, dense material drapes elegantly across your wrist and feels comfortable next to your skin. The Nike Sport Band has an innovative pin-and-tuck closure that ensures a clean fit.
- Apple Leather Link. The Leather Link features handcrafted Roux Granada leather made in France. It wraps around the wrist and attaches with flexible molded magnets that gently flex for a secure, comfortable fit.
- Apple Modern Buckle. This band is made from Granada leather for a refined textured finish. The smooth top-grain leather is lightly milled and tumbled to maintain its refined texture. It features an inner layer of Vectran weave for strength and it is fastened by magnets, though it looks like a buckle.
- Apple Leather Loop. The Leather Loop strap is made from Venezia leather handcrafted in Italy to deliver a pebbled texture. The band is fastened with magnets concealed within the software, quilted leather, allowing you to wrap it around your wrist.
This is the watch band to buy if you like wearing your Apple Watch to formal events or for work and feel a standard rubber one isn't quite the right look.
- Apple Nike Sport Loop. This is made from a nylon weave with reflective thread, secured with a hook and loop fastener. The reflective thread of the band is designed to shimmer when light strikes it. The hook-and-loop fastener makes for quick and easy adjustment.
The dense loops on the skin side, on the other hand, provide soft cushioning while allowing moisture to escape. On the reverse side of the band, the attachment loops are securely anchored for superior durability.