Fitbit devices are meant to help you live a healthier life. Your Fitbit assists you in achieving your fitness goal through activity tracking and monitoring your heart rate and sleep quality.
Your fitness tracker is a delight to use when working out. You can keep track of the level of oxygen in your blood. It also measures your heart rate, pace and distance while you're exercising.
However, you must be aware that exercising a lot or working out in the summer will cause sweat to accumulate on your fitness band. This more often than not leads to skin rashes.
People who are allergic to certain materials, like nickel, should also be aware of the fitness tracking device they are wearing. Those who have sensitive skin need to watch out and do some research when looking for a fitness tracker to purchase and use.
Is There a Nickel-free Fitbit?
For Fitbit users who have skin allergies, it is natural for them to wonder and question whether all Fitbit trackers have nickel on them. Unfortunately, all Fitbit devices contain small traces of nickel. An example of this is the Fitbit Inspire HR.
According to the statement from the product manual, the buckle in the band of the Inspire HR is made of anodized aluminum. The anodized aluminum can contain traces of nickel, which can cause an allergic reaction in someone with nickel sensitivity.
However, the amount of nickel in all Fitbit products meet the European Union's stringent Nickel Directive. What does this mean? Meeting this standard means that you will not develop skin irritation or allergic reactions to Fitbit products. But, if you are particularly sensitive to nickel, you may develop reactions, usually contact dermatitis.
How to Determine if You Have a Nickel Allergy?
Nickel allergy is a common cause of allergic contact dermatitis. It is an itchy rash that appears where your skin touches a usually harmless substance.
Nickel is a material found in several fitness trackers, including Fitbit. It could be the cause of some flare-ups. Many people are not aware that they have nickel allergy until they have a repeated or prolonged exposure to items containing nickel.
So, how can you determine if the skin rashes you have is caused by a nickel allergy? The best way is to undergo a dimethylglyoxime test. If you say the dye turns pink, this means that nickel is present in your skin. You would also need to have a patch test to prove that you are actually allergic to nickel.
What are the Symptoms?
Contact dermatitis usually begins within hours to days after exposure to nickel. The allergic reaction may last as long as two to four weeks. It tends to occur only where your skin came into contact with nickel. However, sometimes it may also appear in other places on your body.
The following are the signs and symptoms of nickel allergy.
- Rash or bumps on the skin
- Redness or changes in skin color
- Blisters and draining fluid in severe cases
- Dry patches of skin that may resemble a burn
Contact your doctor if you have a skin rash and don't know how you got it. You can use the over-the-counter treatments and home remedies your doctor has previously recommended. This is if you have already been diagnosed with nickel allergy and you're sure that you're reacting to nickel exposure. However, if you experienced increased redness, warmth, pus in the affected area, and pain, immediately call your doctor.
How to Treat Your Nickel Allergy?
The best treatment for your nickel allergy is to avoid the allergen. This is because there is no cure for a nickel allergy. You should refrain from prolonged exposure to items containing nickel. Unfortunately, it's not easy to avoid nickel because it is present in so many products. However, you can help reduce the skin irritation caused by a nickel allergy. The following home remedies may help you.
- Soothing lotions, such as calamine lotion, can ease itching
- Moisturize regularly using a moisturizing body lotion
- Apple wet compresses, which can help dry blisters and relieve itching
How to Prevent Metal Reactions from Your Fitbit?
Your allergy or metal reactions is likely caused by the metal in your Fitbit's charging contacts reacting to the salts in your sweat and skin.
As mentioned before, your Fitbit's buckle is made from anodized aluminum which contains traces of nickel. This can cause an allergic reaction. However, very little of your Fitbit's buckle actually comes into contact with your skin.
That's why it is likely that your allergic reaction is from those gold-colored charging contacts. So what can you do to solve this dilemma?
- Use sweat-resistant plugs. These sweat-resistant plugs are usually offered by third parties. Fitbit does not produce these items. These sweat-resistant plugs also perform dual duty as anti-dust.
- Cover your Fitbit with tape. If you don't have a sweat-resistant plug, your next best option is to manually cover the charging contacts. You can use a small piece of tape. Some use plain old invisible tape, while others use microporous hypoallergenic paper.
There are also some who use surgical cloth, fabric, or silicone tape. You can even use a small piece of band-aid. You should make sure that you cover only the charging pins and not the other sensors.
- Use a clear barrier. Creating a barrier between you and the nickel can help. you can use a clear barrier like a Nickel Guard. You can also use clear nail polish.
The downside of the last two options is that you will likely need to change the cover routinely. It can be once per day or after removing the tape cover for charging. In nail polish's case, you have to reapply it often. If there's the presence of nickel on your Fitbit band, you can use a substitute. Use a band made of leather, cloth or plastic. If you have a Fitbit rash, the following are the things you should do:
- Keep your Fitbit clean
- Loosen and remove your Fitbit often
- Strengthen your moisture barrier
- Relieve itching
- Use a skin diary to track symptoms
- Visit a dermatologist