Let's face it. Everyone is guilty of using another charger or USB cable to charge their smartphone. It is already a common practice. Especially among Android users.
Apple iPhone users are also guilty of this too. Although, instead of using another brand's USB cable, they are using another Apple model's charger. So is it the same for Apple Watch? Can you use your iPhone charger to charge your Apple Watch?
The part you plug into the wall that has a USB input can be used for nearly any USB-supported product for charging. This includes the Apple Watch.
As for the cable itself, you should use your Apple Watch cable or supported device. Like a Qi charger, which is rumored to work as far as charging the Apple Watch. You cannot just use any random charger to charge your smartwatch.
How to Charge your Apple Watch
Regularly charging your Apple Watch is important. This is to ensure that you have it available whenever you require its use. After all, you can capitalize on its maximum functionality after a full charge.
It also enables you to use its features for a considerable length of time without any interruptions. Before you start charging your Apple Watch, you have to set up the charger. Here's how you can do that:
- First, place the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable, MagSafe Due Charger, or Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock on a flat surface in a well-ventilated area.
- Next, plug it into the power adapter.
- After that, plug the adapter into a power outlet.
To begin charging your Apple Watch, place the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable on the back of your Apple Watch.
You should make sure the concave end of the charging cable magnetically snaps to the back of your Apple Watch. Moreover, you should also make sure it aligns properly.
When the charging begins, you will hear a chime. Unless your Apple Watch is in silent mode. You will also see a charging symbol on the watch surface. The symbol is red when your Apple Watch needs power. It will turn green when the device is charging.
Additionally, you can charge your Apple Watch in a flat position with its band open, or on its side.
- If you're using the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock or MagSafe Duo Charger. What you should do is to lay your Apple Watch on the dock.
- If your battery is very low. You may see an image of the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Cable. There's also the low battery symbol, which is in red, on the screen.
Can You Charge Your Apple Watch Without a Charger?
As previously mentioned, you cannot use any random charger for your Apple Watch. You should always use its original equipment manufacturer (OEM) charger.
As such, you may use the Apple Magnetic Charging Cable or Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock to charge your Apple Watch. You can use the portable iWatch chargers too. You can carry these with you whenever you are traveling.
You may also use charging accessories with other labels as long as they are accredited and approved by Apple.
Keep in mind, the interface of all Apple Watch chargers is the same. Thus, you can use the same charger for the original Apple Watch as well as other series up to the latest.
How to Charge Your Apple Watch for Use in Sleep Tracking
Do you want to meet your sleep goals? You can use the Sleep app on your Apple Watch and create bedtime schedules. Just wear your watch to bed and let the Apple Watch track your sleep.
You can create multiple schedules. And for each schedule, you can set up the following:
- A sleep goal or how many hours of sleep you want to get
- What time you want to go to bed and wake up
- An alarm sound to wake you up
- When to turn on sleep mode, which limits distractions before you go to bed and protects you sleep after you are in bed
- Sleep tracking, which uses your motion to detect sleep when Apple Watch is in sleep mode and worn to bed
When you wake up, you can learn how much sleep you got by opening the Sleep app. You will see your sleep trends over the past 14 days.
However, if your Apple Watch's battery life is less than 30 percent before you go to bed, you need to charge it.
Fortunately, there is a way for you to still wear your Apple Watch for most of the day while letting your device track your sleep at night without having the battery die. What you need is to adopt the correct daily charging habit.
The following are the things you need to consider when charging your Apple Watch for sleep tracking.
- Learn the basic fundamentals. According to Apple, you can expect that it will take 90 minutes to charge your Apple Watch battery from zero percent to 80 percent. Additionally, your Apple Watch will only last for 18 hours with typical use.
As such, under typical use, you should be able to keep your Apple Watch battery topped off for around-the-clock wearability. And while using it during the day and at night to track your sleep. That is, as long as you charge your Apple Watch for about 60 to 90 minutes every day.
- Devote 60 to 90 minutes every evening before bed to charge your Apple Watch. For example, if you go to bed at 10 p.m., you should start charging your Apple Watch at 8:60 p.m. or 9 p.m.
After you charge your Apple Watch, you can wear it on your wrist for sleep tracking. You can also charge the device for about 30 to 45 minutes in the morning when getting ready or showering. Then, charge it for another 30 to 45 minutes in the evening before bedtime.
To set up Sleep on your Apple Watch, just follow these steps:
- First, open the Sleep app on your Apple Watch.
- Next, follow the onscreen instructions.