Fitbit is one of the biggest names in wearable fitness trackers. This company makes some of the best smartwatches available in the market. It is also the least costly compared to other brands such as Apple and Garmin.
Most Fitbit devices are water-resistant to 50 meters. They are designed to be swim-proof and stand up to even the sweatiest of workouts. As such, if you are looking for a wearable that can help track all of your fitness routines and your surfing activities.
What Fitbit Device You Should Use While Surfing
If you are looking for the model of Fitbit to use, the Fitbit Versa 3 and the Fitbit Charge 3 are among the best devices for surfing.
- Fitbit Versa 3. The Fitbit Versa 3 is swim-proof and the cheapest surf watch you can buy. It is water resistant to 50 meters or 164 feet. You can wear it in the shower or head out for a swim with it on your wrist. This device can even survive a dip in salt water, which makes this wearable a great partner for surfers.
The Versa 3 has an onboard GPS, which makes all your outdoor activities be mapped in real time. The maps, which can be viewed on the Fitbit app, are available immediately after you have ended the exercise. The pace, heart rate and calories burnt are graphically denoted as well.
This wearable offers up to six days of battery juice on a full charge. This, despite the display set at normal brightness and the GPS being used no more than two to three times a week.
However, you should keep in mind that if you leave the screen always on, it will drain the battery significantly. In such cases, this will give you no more than two days on a full charge.
- Fitbit Charge 3. The Fitbit Charge 3, on the other hand, offers the best features of fitness trackers and devices like Apple Watch in a single, affordable device. Said features include step tracking, continuous heart-rate monitoring, sleep tracking, among others.
This wearable also offers water resistance up to 50 meters. It has automatic exercise tracking, silent alarms, and the ability to display your phone's notifications on its sizable OLED screen.
The Fitbit Charge 3 has the same rectangular screen and band design as seen on its predecessor, the Charge 2. Still, unlike the Charge 2, the Charge 3 is waterproof. This means that you can track your swimming and surfing with this device.
This device is estimated to last for seven days. On average, however, the Charge 3 can be used for six days. The wearable shows life percentage so that a soon-to-deplete battery doesn't take you by surprise.
In order to better track your surfing activities, you can use the Surfline app on your Fitbit Versa 3 and Charge 3.
Surfline is a well-known app within the surfing community that has been helping surfers since 1985. Through this app, you will get to see and download reports of several surfing spots available worldwide. Surfline can also keep you updated on waves.
After surfing, you can also go straight to the gym or for cycling together with your Fitbit. Since it is a full-blown smartwatch, you can see notifications, control Spotify, and even take calls hands-free using your Fitbit device.
What are the Best Fitbit Bands for Surfing?
The Fitbit might be a great wearable for surfing, however, you should keep in mind that not all of its accessory bands should get wet. Straps that are made of leather, metal, and woven materials are not water-resistant or waterproof.
The following are some of the best bands you can use together with your Fitbit device while surfing.
- Fitbit Classic Band. This strap is comfortable and swim-proof. It is water resistant to 50 meters. The classic band is diamond-textured and is perfect to use for your surfing activities as well as walks in the park. This band is made of a flexible, durable elastomer material and includes an aluminum buckle.
- Fitbit Sport Band. The sport band is made of a flexible, durable silicone material and includes an aluminum buckle. It is soft and breathable, and has a unique two-tone color combination inspired by nature.
- Fitbit Luxe Classic Band. This strap has a warm, natural shade of white that is easy to wear. It complements any look, be it sport, work or casual. The luxe classic band is made with comfortable, lightweight silicone. This makes it a perfect accessory from swim to sleep.
- Fitbit Infinity Band. This modern infinity band is water resistant as well as stain resistant. This strap is streamlined with a loop and peg that keeps it secure for total comfort from day to night. The infinity band is perfect for everything, from a swim to your sleep routine.
- Wepro Silicone Band. This band is waterproof and sweatproof, which makes it a perfect accessory for sport lovers. The Wepro Silicone Band is breathable, making it the right band for anyone that finds skin a little red after long periods of wear. This strap is available in 16 colors.
- Batiny Silicone Band. One of the soft silicone options available in the market. The Batiny Silicone Band has holes which offer better breathability. The design of this strap includes a two-tone colorways as well as a pin and tuck.
- Qibox Sport Band. A perforated strap that is a dead ringer for the bands used on the Nike+ edition of the smartwatch. The holes in this band reduce the risk of your wrist getting clammy. It also has the tucked fit on the band's underside, which means that there is nothing hanging off your wrist to get in the way.
- YHC Sport Band. This silicone band looks like it's been inspired by one of Apple's sport bands. The YHC Sport Band gives you that perforated look in a range of different colors. It is waterproof and the strap's painted buckle is made to compliment the sporty look.
- Hamile Sport Band. Hamile gives you the option to pick up a second sport band for next to nothing in more colors. This is perfect for if you want to mix up your bands when you need to clean it. You can also use this sport band if you simply want to add a bit more color. The band is available in 24 different colors.