Unlike your smartphone that you can keep in your bag or pocket, your Apple Watch is always on your wrist. You see, smartwatches are often exposed to hazards.
There are instances wherein you knock your hands on the desk, when you type, or hit objects when you play sports. Even small amounts of friction when you remove your jacket can cause wear over time to your wearable.
You may not be aware of this but some Apple Watches are more susceptible to scratches. When browsing through Apple's collection of Apple Watch, you will notice that it is categorized into four types. These are:
- Aluminum. This is the softest material and costs the least among the four. Despite that, aluminum does not scratch as easily as the stainless steel version.
- Stainless Steel. This is an alloy of iron and carbon. It is harder and brighter than aluminum. But the thing is, its shiny surface means that scratches are more noticeable.
- Titanium. It is almost three times stronger than stainless steel. However, it can scratch too. Moreover, it often becomes dull.
- Ceramic. It is the most scratch-resistant out of the four, however it is brittle compared to metal. It is also the most expensive, at more than three times the price of the aluminum Apple Watch.
How to Keep Your Apple Watch Scratch-Free
Apple advised you do not use toothpaste or any other abrasive on your Apple Watch to get rid of the scratches. According to the tech giant, it is possible that you have only scratched through the fingerprint-resistant, oil repellent coating. You see, it is normal for this coating to wear away under normal use. However, it may have become scratched without damaging the screen beneath.
Moreover, unless the issue is due to a manufacturing defect, cosmetic damage is not covered under either Apple's Limited Warranty or AppleCare+. Apple also advises that you should not continue using a damaged Apple Watch if your wearable has more than cosmetic damage. Take note that Apple Watch is not user-serviceable. Apple does not offer a screen repair or a crystal/screen replacement service for Apple Watch.
- Get a Case. Apple Watch cases are made of form-fitting rubber or hard plastic. The case protects the sides of your Apple Watch without touching the screen. Moreover, it will not, in any way, interfere with how you interact with your Apple Watch.
However, the case will provide an extra layer of protection to your wearable. It can protect your device against bumps and other accidental contacts that could scratch or damage the body of the watch.
- Use a Screen Protector. Yes, the screen of your Apple Watch is made of tough material. However, the casing of your wearable is more prone to damage than the screen. But the thing is, no matter how hard the screen is, it is still susceptible to scratches. Thus, making your Apple Watch look old and worn.
You can use a screen protector to help keep your screen surface scratch-free. Moreover, if you accidentally nick the screen protector, you could easily replace it with a new one.
Best Apple Watch Screen Protector
- Spartan Watches Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Apple Watch. The tempered glass screen protector from Spartan Watches is resilient and durable. It is made to fit seamlessly with a high-quality touch feel.
Upon using this glass screen protector, you will feel nothing different. However, your Apple Watch has more protection and is also invulnerable to scratches, smudges, dirt, and damage.
This screen protector is made with high precision 9H glass. It is built to fend off dust particles, dirt and any scratches caused by external pressures. This makes your Apple Watch smudge proof, keeping your screen crystal clear.
- IQShield LiQuidSkin Apple Watch Screen Protector. This screen protector blends in naturally with your Apple Watch. It also allows for full touch control of your screen with no discernible lag.
Moreover, because of the UV protection, the screen protector is not likely to yellow over time. Its anti-scratch technology protects your Apple Watch from minor nicks. This practical and unobtrusive screen can safeguard your wearable without hampering its appearance.
- ArmorSuit Apple Watch 44mm Screen Protector + Black Carbon Fiber Skin Protector. This screen protector is incredibly clear and resilient. It protects your watch screen from fingerprints, scratches and bumps. It has UV protection that prevents the film from yellowing over time. Moreover, it is laser cut to ensure that it fits your screen completely.
ArmorSuit claims that this screen protector has self-healing technology. It means that it can repair minor scratches by itself.
- InvisibleShield HD Clear Screen Protector for Apple Watch. This is an effective and easy-to-install screen protector. Its high definition means that your screen remains as easy to read and touch as if there were nothing on it. It is effective against scrapes, bumps, or drops.
This screen protector has a built-in technology that assists with self-healing small scrapes. It is also a great all-rounder to protect your fragile Apple Watch.
- IQ Shield Matte for Apple Watch. If you are concerned about the screen glare, you might want to purchase the IQ Shield Matte. Because of its matte design, this screen protector is effective at reducing screen glare.
This budget-friendly option uses durable film to protect the screen of your Apple Watch against scrapes, drops, or bumps. You will find that the outer layer of the IQ Shield Matte has a protective layer to resist fingerprints and smudges.
Got any smartwatch-related problems you need to solve? Or perhaps you want to know more about safety in charging your Apple Watch. You should join the spartan army. Simply sign up and subscribe to our newsletter. You can stay updated on new product announcements and exclusive deals as well as special discounts and free giveaways.