Are you worried that your Apple Watch is going to attract a scratch? You are probably thinking of getting a screen protector for your wearable. Apple does not advise that you need or should fit a screen protector. However, whether or not to fit a screen protector is entirely a matter of personal preference.
If your device already has a scratch, the tech giant also recommends you do not use toothpaste or any other abrasive on your Apple Watch. You see, it is possible that you have only scratched through the fingerprint-resistant, oil repellent coating. It is normal for this coating to wear away under normal use. But it may have become scratched without damaging the screen beneath.
Keep in mind that cosmetic damage is not covered under either Apple's Limited Warranty or AppleCare+. That is, unless the issue is due to a manufacturing defect. So, if your Apple Watch has more than cosmetic damage, Apple advises that you should not continue using a damaged Apple Watch.
Take note that Apple Watch is not user-serviceable. Apple does not offer a screen repair or a crystal/screen replacement service for Apple Watch. Moreover, whether you have scratched the screen or not, Apple does not recommend using cleaning products or polishing or buffing the watch with abrasives.
That is because these will wear away the coating and may also further scratch the display. Apple further states that a good quality screen may be effective in obscuring or reducing the visibility of the mark. It also provides some measure of protection against future damage.
Do You Need a Screen Protector for Your Apple Watch?
Some Apple Watch models have a more durable display glass. The stainless steel model of Apple Watch Series 4 and some previous generations come with display glass made out of sapphire crystal. It's actually a nice feature if you are the kind of person who is paranoid about scratching up the screen of your Apple Watch.
What is sapphire crystal glass? It is made from the sapphire gemstone, the third-hardest material on Earth behind diamond and moissanite. It is incredibly resistant to scratches. Keep in mind that the sapphire crystal glass is only available to some Apple Watch models.
So if you have the entry-level Apple Watch with the aluminum body, the screen is just made out of regular glass or the Ion-X glass. It is no more scratch resistant than a typical smartphone display. As such, you might want to purchase a screen protector to ease your mind.
Best Apple Watch Screen Protectors to Buy
If you want to keep your beloved Apple Watch from getting scratched or damaged, purchasing a screen protector is definitely worth it. After all, scratches are not covered by most warranties. Although, if you really damaged your screen and you've got AppleCare, Apple will replace the screen up to two times for a fee of $69.
Meanwhile, the out-of-warranty fees are much higher than that. They start at just under $200 with some fees running to over $800 or more depending on your watch version. And even if you do have AppleCare, it is better for you to not have to pay the fee. After all, protecting your watch from damage is cheaper than fixing the device after the damage has occurred.
Here are some of the best Apple Watch screen protectors you can purchase today:
- Spartan Watches' Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Apple Watch. The tempered glass screen protector from Spartan Watches is resilient and durable. It is a highly-transparent screen protector that is designed to protect your Apple Watch. It is made to fit seamlessly with a high-quality touch feel.
With this screen protector on, you will find nothing different except that your Apple Watch has more protection. It also makes your wearable invulnerable to scratches, smudges, dirt and damage.
- IQ Shield LiquidSkin Full Body Skin Screen Protector. This is a full body coverage for your entire Apple Watch. It is a liquid skin film that you apply while wet.
- Piuellia Black Hard Case. It is well-priced and attractive looking. The Piuellia Black Hard Case works equally well for the Apple Watch Series 6 and SE. You will find that it fits tightly around both the face and sides of the smartwatch. It also offers easy access to relevant buttons and ensures the touch screen feels as natural as before.
The Piuellia Black Hard Case is ideal for protecting your timepiece from scratches. It is also very easy to take on and off.
- Misxi Case for Apple Watch. Do you want to protect your Apple Watch with a case? You might want to consider purchasing the Misxi Case. It is one of the thinnest, least obtrusive cases you can buy in the market. The Misxi Case for Apple Watch is made of the same TPU as rugged watch cases. So, it is tough and scratch-resistant and it is easy to fit.
- Spigen Rugged Armor Apple Watch Case. If you want the cheaper version of the Apple Watch case from Spigen, you should get the Rugged Armor version. It is a solid TPU case that protects your Apple Watch from impacts. However, it can be bulky.
- LK Liquid Skin Screen Protector for Apple Watch. The LK Liquid Skin Screen Protector is made of laser-cut liquid skin film that can be washed and reapplied. It makes it easier to get rid of the dreaded bubbles.
- HAPAW Screen Protector. The HAPAW Screen Protector looks good for the price and is suitably durable too. This screen protector is able to protect your watch from scratches, collisions, and general all-around damage.
The tempered glass gives your Apple Watch added protection. However, it should not affect the touch sensitivity of the device. You can also easily reach the buttons due to its precise hole cutouts.
If you don't want to miss out on the new product announcements, updates and exclusive deals, you should join the Spartan Army. Subscribe to Spartan Watches' newsletter to get special discounts, free giveaways, and learn more about your amazing Apple Watch.