People customize their things for a number of reasons. One is to give it a sense of ownership. Another is that it allows them to connect to it. There are several ways to customize or personalize something. You can give it your own brand of style that screams you. Like giving it your favorite color or placing a sticker on it.
If you want to be sophisticated about it, you can have your things engraved. Engraving is usually done on things like wood and metal. For years, engraving has become more and more popular for lovers who are passionate with their love.
I'm sure you have seen several couples having their rings engraved with their names or initials. Some of them engrave romantic messages to their loved ones in other jewelries like necklaces and bracelets.
How about your Apple watch band? Can you engrave something in it? Yes, you can.
How to Engrave Your Apple Watch Band
Yes, you can engrave your Apple watch band. You can do it using Glowforge. First you will need three things: Glowforge, Silicone Apple watch band, and Silhouette Studio. Once you have your tools, you can start by following these steps:
- First, you have to create your monogram or other design in Silhouette Studio and save it as an SVG. Open it in the Glowforge App.
- Pin down your Apple watch band in the Glowforge. You can use honeycomb pins that you can pick up in the official Glowforge forums.
- Next, you line up your monogram in the software and adjust your settings, then run the engrave.
- After the engraving, it will look like a mess. However, you can wash off the burned material. You can use a toothbrush and water to scrub and clean it.
If you want, you can also fill the engraved part of your watch band with permanent ink. You can use SE Silicone ink to color fill your engrave Apple watch band. Here's how:
1. You need to prepare the ink to print. Prepare your tools and ingredients.
- Weighing scale
- Ink mixing cups
- Mixing spatula/mixing sticks
- Lint-free cleaning wipes
- A heat source (heat gun, toaster oven, conveyor oven, etc.) You need to get the heat to 200 °F for 2-6 minutes
- SE Silicone ink, LG Catalyst and Silicone ink Solvent
Place a mixing cup on the weighing scale and tear the weight. You pour the SE silicone ink onto a mixing container and note the weight.
Next, you add LG Catalyst to the ink. It should be 10 percent of the ink's weight. For example, if the ink's weight is 100 grams, you add 10 grams of the catalyst. You mix the ink and the catalyst thoroughly.
You can change the viscosity of the ink. Just add the SF solvent up to 20 percent of the ink's weight. Mix the SE silicone ink, the catalyst and thinner thoroughly.
- Ink filling engraved Apple watch band. Use the mixed silicone ink to color fill the engraved watch band. To reduce mess, you can use a syringe.
- Wipe off the excess silicone ink. To clean or wipe off the excess silicone ink, use the link-free cloth.
- Dry and cure your Apple watch band. Use heat to cure the SE series. Let the ink-filled silicone watch band sit for about 30 minutes. This helps any air bubbles get off the ink. Bake the product at 200℉ for 10 minutes or 250℉ for 6 minutes. Take note, very high heat will create bubbles.
You can also leave the ink filled part for hours or overnight and then bake the part in the morning.
Should You Have Your Apple Watch Band Engraved or Not?
Now that you know how to engrave your Apple watch band, are you still feeling hesitant? If you do, here are some pros of having your Apple watch band engraved.
Pros of engraving your Apple watch band
- Personalized. Personalizing your Apple watch band by engraving it will make it your own. Engraving a symbol or a quote will make it more like your own. This will also help you make the most of your Apple product.
- Helps identify your device. Don't forget, you're not the only one who owns an Apple watch. Having your Apple watch band engraved will make it easier to locate your own device.
- Thieves won't want it. Having a personalized Apple watch band, especially engraved, will make it harder for thieves to resell it. It will also be easier for you to retrace your Apple watch.
- Great for gift-giving. Having a personalized message engraved makes the gift more meaningful. The receiver of this gift will definitely remember you.
However, there are also cons on having your Apple watch band engraved. One of the downsides to adding an engraving to your Apple watch band is that it will make it hard to resell.
It will also be hard to give it away. Likewise, the resale value of your Apple watch will drop with an engraving.
Customize the Watch Face on Your Apple Watch
Did you know that you can also customize the watch face on your Apple watch? If you want to further personalize your Apple watch, you can also customize the watch face and not just the band. Here's how:
- First, you press the Digital Crown to go to the watch face.
- Touch and hold the display.
- Swipe left or right to choose a watch face. Then tap Edit.
- Swipe left or right to select a feature, then turn the Digital Crown to change it. For example, you might change the color of the second hand or the markings on the watch face.
- You swipe all the way to the left to edit complications. You can use it to check things such as the weather, your activity or information from other apps that you've installed. Tap a complication to select it. Then, turn the Digital Crown to change it.
- When you're finished, press the Digital Crown to save your changes.
- You tap the watch face to set it as your current face.
Now you can enjoy using your Apple smartwatch with personalized watch face as well as engraved watch band.