Known as the "ultimate device for a healthy life," the Apple Watch is like a mini computer for your wrist. It feels like an accessory and when you wear it, you get a fitness partner that measures all the ways you move.
The Apple Watch gives meaningful health insights. You can connect to the people and things you care about the most with just a glance at your wrist.
You will have no need to dig into your pocket or rummage in your bag for your phone just to look at the time. You can simply turn your wrist, the screen lights up, and you can view the time and date.
If you're planning on getting an Apple Watch of your own, there are things you should consider first. One of them is choosing the size. Especially if you are blessed with small or skinny wrists.
44mm or 40mm On Your Small Wrist
Choosing the size of your Apple Watch does not only affect the device's price. It also affects the bands compatibility, display size as well as whether it will look good on your wrist.
There are four Apple Watch sizes: the 38mm, 42mm, 40mm, and 44mm. The Apple Watch Series 4 to Series 6 models come in 40mm and the 44mm. You can still buy the older models with the 38mm and 44mm casting.
- 40mm Apple Watch. The 40mm is generally advised if you have a wrist size between 130-200mm or 5.1-7.9 inches. This Apple Watch has a 759 sq mm display area and 394 x 324 pixels display size. The 40mm-specific bands include the Modern Buckle, Hermès Single Tour (certain colors), and Hermès Double Tour.
- 44mm Apple Watch. The 44mm, on the other hand, is generally advised if you have a wrist size of 140-220mm or 5.5-8.7 inches. This Apple Watch has a 977 sq mm display area and 448 x 368 pixels display size. The 44mm-specific bands include the Leather Loop, Hermès Single Tour (certain colors), and Hermès Single Tour Deployment Buckle.
Why You Should Buy the 44mm Size
- Large screen. If you want the largest and clearest screen available on an Apple Watch, you should choose the 44mm. This watch will allow you to see more things rather than just display everything slightly bigger. You will also be able to navigate easier.
This means you will be able to easily see your notifications, switch soundtracks, take calls, read texts, among others. If you have large fingers, you won't have a hard time tapping on tiny icons.
- Battery Life. The 44mm Apple Watch has a slightly bigger battery than the 40mm watch. This is due to more room in the casing. So, if battery life is important to you, the 44mm Apple Watch is the right one for you.
Bands for Your 44mm Apple Watch
While Apple Watch bands are compatible between generations, they are only compatible with the right size. This means that if you have an older Apple Watch that's 44mm, you can use the bands with the latest 44mm Apple Watch. However, you cannot use those bands for the 40mm Apple Watch.
Apart from the compatibility and size, you also have to consider the design and color of you band. Do you want a band that is extravagant? A band that makes you Apple Watch look like a glitzy accessory that you can show off? Or do you want a band with a simple design?
Here are some of the best bands you can choose from for your 44mm Apple Watch.
- Apple Sport Band. This band is an original that’s still an excellent all-rounder. The Apple Sport band comes with a variety of colors to choose from. It is simple and hard-wearing as it is made of nicer materials than the knock-offs you'll find on certain auction sites. This means you will not get a band with odd things happening to your skin after a few hours of wear.
- Apple Sport Loop. This band is hard-wearing and comfortable. The Apple Sport Loop is made from double-layer nylon and has a clever design on the skin side. It uses larger loops for cushioning and breathability.
- Apple Solo Loop. Known for its "all in one simplicity." The Apple Solo Loop is a rubberized colored loop that stretches over your fingers and snaps onto your wrist. This band comes with several dark and bright colors.
- Apple Pride Edition Sport Band. A band that lets you wear your principles. The Apple Pride Edition Sport Band shows a bright bold statement of support and unity. It is die-cut by machine and then compression molded together. This means that the seams of the color strips on each strap are unique.
- Apple Nike Sport Band. This band is simple, stylish and won't suffocate your skin. The Nike Sport Band has the toughness and design simplicity of the normal Sport Band. However, it also has those compression-molded perforations or better known as holes.
The holes make a big difference to the long-term comfort of the Apple Watch. It is because they enable your skin to breathe under the band.
- Apple Leather Loop. An excellent band that comes in yellow, brown or black. The Leather Loop has a clever segmented magnetic closure. That means you can get a precise and comfortable fit every time.
If you want a band that you can use for your Apple Watch in formal events or for work, the Leather Loop is perfect for you.
In the end, it all boils down to your personal preference. If you want a bigger, bulkier watch, even if you have a small wrist, you can choose the 44mm. If you feel more comfortable in the 40mm size, you can choose that one.
Although, there are people with small wrists that opted to use the 44mm due to its display and usability.