Surfing is enjoyed as a recreational activity and at the same time it is also a competitive sport. It is often considered an attitude or a way of life.
The thing about surfing is that once you are on the board, you are on your own. But what if you can still stay digitally connected even while you're riding the waves?
Surfing with Apple Watch is possible. you might be skeptical about this and worried that using Apple Watch will lead it to go defective when it gets wet. Worry not as there are Apple Watches that can be used for water activities such as swimming and surfing.
This means, you can answer your calls and texts and track your surfing status. You can even call for help when you're in an emergency situation in the waters using the Apple Watch.
Things to Remember When Using Apple Watch While Surfing
Here are some tips that you can follow when you start surfing with our Apple Watch. These can be helpful in keeping your smartwatch in tip-top condition while you surf.
- Choose the right band. It is a common fact that Apple Watches come in a variety of bands. The thing is, not all of the bands are water-resistant.
The following are the bands that are easily soaked wet during surfing. This means, you should avoid using them.
- Leather Loop
- Link Bracelet
- Classic Buckle
- Modern Buckle
So what bands can you use while surfing?
- Sport Bands
- Nylon Bands
- Silicone Bands
- Waterproof Leather Bands
Apart from selecting the right kind of band to use, you should also make sure it fits and check the snugness of your chosen band. Your Apple Watch band should be comfortably fit around your wrist.
- Wear your Apple Watch under your wetsuit. A lot of surfers worry about surfing with an Apple Watch without a waterproof cover. Actually, you can wear the watch out in the open waves even without any waterproof cover.
That's because Apple Watch's water-resistance level is meant to withstand splashes of water. This means, your smartwatch will be fine even without a protective case around it.
One thing you can do to protect your Apple Watch from harsh water waves is to wear it under your wetsuit.
- Use protective waterproof cases for your Apple Watch. It pays to be cautious, as many people would say. If you are not convinced about the idea of wearing your Apple Watch under your wetsuit, you can use a protective waterproof case.
Take note, you should look for cases with ratings of IP67 and IP68. These cases are the most water-repellant models. They also have additional features that protect the functionality of your Apple Watch. These features include the direct touch-screen access and audio technology. This allows sound to clearly pass through from the speaker through outside the case.
- Eject water as soon as possible. Did you know that your Apple Watch automatically turns on the Water Lock whenever it senses that you're swimming or surfing? You see, Water Lock prevents unnecessary and accidental taps on your watch's screen.
As soon as you are finished surfing, you should start cleaning your Apple Watch. You can do that by turning off the Water Lock first. Then, remove the excess water that accumulated on the speaker. You can do that by simply turning the Digital Crown.
You can also manually eject water from your Apple Watch. Just follow these steps:
- First, open the Control Center. You can do that by swiping up from the bottom of your Apple Watch.
- Tap Water Lock.
- Turn the Digital Crown.
After that, your screen will then unlock and water will be removed from the speaker.
- Download surf tracker apps. You can turn your Apple Watch into a surf watch by simply installing surf tracker apps. These apps provide Apple Watch some customizations that are fit for surfing activities. This way, you can use your Apple Watch to track everything about your surf sessions.
- Clean your Apple Watch. Being able to use your Apple Watch while surfing doesn't mean you'll skip the cleanup. You should still clean your smartwatch properly.
Don't forget to rinse your Apple Watch in lightly-running warm tap water. Take note, you can do this for 10 to 15 seconds only. After that, wipe it dry with a non-abrasive and lint-free cloth.
What is the Best Apple Watch Band for Surfers?
Here are some of the best Apple Watch bands you can use while surfing.
- Apple Watch Sport Band. This band is your best companion for surfing. It is made from custom high-performance fluoroelastomers. This means that the band is durable and strong, and at the same time surprisingly soft.
This band is comfortable to use. You don't have to worry that it'll come off while surfing as this band has an innovative pin-and-tuck closure that ensures a clean fit.
- Carterjett e Apple Watch Bands. Tagged as the best choice for athletes with digitized touch. The Carterjett e Apple Watch Band is excellent, lightweight and adjustable. This strap allows proper air circulation and has a silicone material. It is also water-resistant.
- Apple Watch Sport Loop. As previously mentioned, nylon bands are among the bands that you can use while surfing. The Apple Watch Sport Loop has a double-layer nylon design that features extra cushion and comfort. This design is what makes this band ideal for many activities and all-day wear.
The Sport Loop is soft, breathable and lightweight. It also features a hook-and-loop fastener for quick and easy adjustment.
- Nike Sport Band. This band features durable synthetic rubber with a pinhole design for ultimate breathability.
Just like the common sport band, the Nike Sport Band is made from a custom high-performance fluoroelastomer. It comes with compression-molded perforations for breathability.
- Yigko Apple Watch Band. This band is made of silicon, which makes it one of the ideal bands to use while surfing. The Yigko Apple Watch band is made from a high-quality material that goes perfectly with your skin.
You don't have to worry about the metal plugs on this band as it consists of stainless steel. This means, it won't easily rust. The band is water-resistant and can easily be cleaned.
Share this post
- Tags: APPLE WATCH BAND, APPLE WATCH BANDS, Smart Watch Band, Smartwatch, Smartwatch Bands, SPARTAN WATCHES