With the Apple Watch's usefulness, you should keep it on your wrist at all times. Mainly since the Apple Watch provides several functions that can be useful in various situations.
The Apple Watch becomes almost an extension of your being. To the point that you might be wearing your Apple Watch wherever you go. And that includes wearing the device while swimming.
With that in mind, you're probably wondering if your Apple Watch and band are waterproof or if it is safe to wear them while swimming. After all, the Apple Watch is an expensive piece of tech.
Fortunately, most Apple Watch models were designed so you could wear the device while swimming. Even the newer models can withstand saltwater.
WHAT ARE THE APPLE WATCH MODELS FOR SWIMMING?
The first thing you must remember is that while most Apple Watches models are water resistant, they are not waterproof. You will find that the first-generation Apple Watch and the Apple Watch Series 1 have a water resistance rating of IPX7. On the other hand, the Apple Watch Series 2, 3, 4, and 5 have a water resistance rating of up to 50 meters in depth.
This means that wearing your Apple Watch, exercising on a rainy day, and even swimming are okay. However, wearing your Apple Watch while scuba diving or water skiing is not okay. Apple suggests that you do not submerge the smartwatch below a shallow depth or expose it to high-velocity water. The first-generation Apple Watch and Watch Series 1 should not be submerged underwater.
Apart from not wearing your Apple Watch while diving or water skiing, it is advised that you take off your device before you shower. That's because exposure to soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, and perfumes can affect the efficacy of water seals and acoustic membranes of your Apple Watch. Moreover, the chemicals in shampoo and soap can reduce your Apple Watch's water resistance.
HOW DO I SEAL MY APPLE WATCH FOR SWIMMING?
Apple Watch is a great device that can monitor your heart rate and track your activity. But did you know that it can also be used for swimming?
If you own an Apple Watch Series 3 or later, you can use it to track laps and measure distance during a swim. It would help to pair your watch with third-party swimming apps like Swim.com or Speedo GoSwim.
However, before you hit the pool, there are some things you should keep in mind when using your Apple Watch as a fitness tracker while swimming:
Keep it dry before getting in the pool or ocean. Make sure that no water gets inside your watch before you start swimming. You don't want any moisture between the screen and the case, or else it could cause damage to the display when submerged in water.
Ensure that your straps are tight enough, so they don't slip off easily while underwater but not so tight that they cut off circulation around your wrist when wearing them on land.
If you're using an Apple Watch Series 3 or later model with LTE cellular connectivity capabilities, ensure that it has been activated for use with swim-tracking features before placing it into the water, so it doesn't get damaged by exposure.
WILL APPLE WATCH'S WATER RESISTANCE DIMINISH?
AppleCare does not directly cover water damage. According to Apple, water resistance is not permanent and may diminish over time. In addition, your Apple Watch can't be rechecked or re-sealed for water resistance.
You can wear your Apple Watch in fresh or ocean water. Remember to rinse your smartwatch with fresh water from a faucet turned low after swimming in the ocean. This is so you can remove any salt. Also, make sure to rotate the Digital Crown to remove debris.
Also, remember to turn on the water lock before you go swimming. The Water Lock feature prevents water from activating the touchscreen of your Apple Watch.
When you start a swimming exercise activity, the Water Look automatically activates. You can activate Water Lock in the Control Center and tap on the water drop icon. To disable Water Lock after your swim, you need to turn the Digital Crown on your Apple Watch until you hear a series of beeps.
WHAT ARE THE APPLE WATCH BANDS YOU CAN USE IN WATER?
Keep in mind that not all Apple Watch bands are water-resistant. Leather Loop, Milanese, Link Bracelet, Modern Buckles, and Classic Buckle bands should not be used while you go swimming.
It would help if you also took note of third-party Apple Watch band sellers who claim their watch bands are waterproof. They are most likely to be water resistant and not waterproof.
The best choices for Apple Watch bands that can be worn when you swim are silicone and nylon bands. These two kinds of bands are easy to find, affordable, and capable of holding up under extreme pressure and duress.
The following are the best Apple Watch bands you can use while doing water activities like swimming:
- Apple Solo Loop. This band is made from liquid silicone rubber. The Apple Solo Loop features a unique design with no clasps, buckles, or overlapping parts. This makes the watch band ultra comfortable and easy to slip on and off your wrist. In addition, the Apple Solo Loop is both swim-proof and sweatproof.
- Apple International Collection Sport Loop. With this band, you can have an Apple Watch representing your country. It is water-resistant and workable in the gym. It is highly breathable with a hook-and-loop fastener for easy adjustments. The double-layer nylon weave of this band also feels good on your skin. It allows moisture out.
- Nylon Braided Jumping Single Tour Band. This band is the latest Hermes style design. The Nylon Braided Jumping Single Tour Band is soft, durable, and flexible. It is also breathable, comfortable to wear, has no peculiar smell, and will not irritate your skin. In addition, this band is designed to be swim-proof and is available in various colors.
- Apple Braided Solo Loop. The Apple Braided Solo Loop is made of stretchable soft silicone threaded to feel soft. This watch band looks slightly more formal than other bands. It is also sweat and water resistant as well.
- NYLON SPORT LOOP FOR APPLE WATCH. Made from supreme quality nylon comes this unique, tasteful and inspiring sport loop, designed for your fitness activity. This is a beautiful band that is built-to-last and made from the finest materials providing you with the most comfortable and relaxing watch wearing experiences.
- DUAL COLOR SPORT BAND FOR APPLE WATCH. Made of soft silicone material with breathable ventilation channels, it handles any activity by reducing moisture build up while staying comfortable and secure around your wrist.
ARE YOU READY TO GET MORE FROM YOUR APPLE WATCH?
Kindle Unlimited subscribers can access it for free! This book is filled with useful tips and tricks for all Apple Watch series, including the latest Ultra 2 and Series 9, making it perfect for both beginners and seasoned users.
Dive into this guide and start enjoying your Apple Watch to its fullest!
Thank you for spending time with us! If this article has been useful to you, we'd be thrilled if you could share it on social media. Your sharing helps fellow Apple Watch enthusiasts discover these helpful tips. We greatly appreciate your support!
Please note, this post includes affiliate links. When you make a purchase through our Amazon links, we earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Your support is vital in helping our family-owned business flourish. A heartfelt thank you for being a part of our growth journey!