With how useful the Apple Watch is, you probably want to keep it on your wrist at all times. Especially since the Apple Watch provides several functions that can be useful in various situations.
You could say that the Apple Watch becomes almost an extension of your being. To the point that you might be wearing your Apple Watch wherever you go. And that includes wearing the device while swimming.
With that in mind, you're probably wondering if your Apple Watch and band are waterproof or is it safe to wear it while you go swimming. After all, the Apple Watch is an expensive piece of tech.
Fortunately, most Apple Watch models were designed so you could wear the device while swimming. Even the newer models can withstand saltwater.
What are the Apple Watch Models for Swimming?
The first thing you need to remember is that while most Apple Watch models are water resistant, they are not waterproof. You will find that the first generation Apple Watch and the Apple Watch Series 1 have a water resistance rating of IPX7. The Apple Watch Series 2, 3, 4 and 5, on the other hand, have a water resistance rating of up to 50 meters of depth.
These mean that while wearing your Apple Watch exercising, while on a rainy day, and even swimming is okay. However, wearing your Apple Watch while scuba diving or water skiing is not okay. Apple suggests that you do not submerge the smartwatch below a shallow depth or expose it to high velocity water. The first generation Apple Watch and Watch Series 1 should also not be submerged underwater.
Apart from not wearing your Apple Watch while diving or water skiing, it is advised that you take off your device before you shower. That's because exposure to soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, and perfumes can affect the efficacy of water seals and acoustic membranes of your Apple Watch. Moreover, the chemicals in shampoo and soap can reduce your Apple Watch's water resistance as a whole.
Will Apple Watch's Water Resistance Diminish?
According to Apple, water resistance is not a permanent condition and may diminish over time. In addition, your Apple Watch can't be rechecked or re-sealed for water resistance as well. AppleCare does not directly cover water damage.
You can wear your Apple Watch in fresh or ocean water. Just remember to rinse your smartwatch with fresh water from a faucet turned low after swimming in the ocean. This is so you can remove any salt. Also make sure to rotate the Digital Crown so you can remove any debris.
Also remember to turn one the water lock before you go swimming. The Water Lock feature prevents water from activating the touchscreen of your Apple Watch.
When you start a swim exercise activity, the Water Look automatically activates. You can also activate Water Lock in the Control Center and tap on the water drop icon. To disable Water Lock after your swim, you just need to turn the Digital Crown on your Apple Watch until you can hear a series of beeps.
What are the Apple Watch Bands You Can Use in Water?
Keep in mind that not all Apple Watch bands are water resistant. Leather Loop, Milanese, Link Bracelet, Modern Buckles, and Classic Buckle bands should not be used while you go swimming.
You should also take note of third party Apple Watch band sellers who claim that their watch bands are waterproof. They are most likely to be water resistant and not waterproof.
The best choices for Apple Watch bands that can be worn when you swim are the silicone and nylon bands. These two kinds of bands are easy to find, not that expensive, and are capable of holding up under an extreme amount of pressure and duress.
- Apple Solo Loop. This band is made from liquid silicone rubber. The Apple Solo Loop features a unique design with no clasps, buckles, or overlapping parts. This makes the watch band ultra comfortable to wear and easy to slip on and off your wrist. In addition, the Apple Solo Loop is both swim-proof and sweatproof.
- Silicone Band from Spartan Watches. This watch band is made of premium quality premium material, which is soft to the skin. This makes the band extremely comfortable. The Silicone Band also features simple and easy pin-and-tuck closure, giving you the option to adjust on the go easily.
- Apple International Collection Sport Loop. With this band, you can have an Apple Watch that represents your country. It is water resistant and workable in the gym. It is highly breathable with a hook-and-loop fastener for easy adjustments. The double-layer nylon weave of this band also feels good on your skin. It allows moisture out.
- Nylon Braided Jumping Single Tour Band. This band is the latest Hermes style design. The Nylon Braided Jumping Single Tour Band is soft, durable and flexible. It is also breathable, comfortable to wear, has no peculiar smell, and will not irritate your skin. In addition, this band is designed to be swim-proof and is available in a variety of colors.
- Apple Braided Solo Loop. The Apple Braided Solo Loop is made of stretchable soft silicone material that's threaded to feel soft. This watch band looks slightly more formal than other bands. It is also sweat and water resistant as well.
- Apple Sport Band. This band is made of nicer materials than the knock-offs you will find on certain auction sites. This means that you are not going to end up with odd things happening to your skin after a few hours of wear.
- Nike Sport Band. The Nike Sport Band comes with a decidedly sports-focused design. This watch band is made from fluoroelastomer, which is designed to hold up during intensive activity. It is water resistant as well.
The smooth, dense material of this band drapes elegantly across our wrist. This feels comfortable next to your skin. The Nike Sport Band also has an innovative pin-and-tuck closure which ensures a clean fit.