Have you ever wondered what the loop on your watch band is called? Yes, that part of the watch band has a name. However, it's often referred to as a loop. This loop is officially called a "keeper." Keepers, sometimes called hoops and retainers, are there to keep the band from flopping around on your wrist.
Keepers, just like your strap, can sometimes fall off and break. Leather or cloth keepers will disintegrate through wear and tear from moisture or sweat. The rubber ones, on the other hand, become brittle and snap.
You can replace your broken keeper with a new one. You can buy a replacement loop on Amazon and put it on the band. However, it would help if you noted that not all replacement keepers can easily be placed on the strap like the rubber loops.
HOW TO PUT YOUR NEW KEEPER INTO YOUR WATCH BAND
It is easy to attach your rubber loops as they can be stretched over the buckle. For other replacement loops, on the other hand, you will need to disconnect the strap or buckle first to get the new loop on.
Most importantly, you should ensure that you bought the correct width loop, measured in millimeters.
- Remove your band. As mentioned before, not all replacement keepers are like rubber loops that can be stretched over the buckle. You must remove your band first to get the new loop on. Here's how:
- First, take a soft cloth to place your smartwatch face on.
- Next, you place your smartwatch face down on the cloth. You have to ensure that your smartwatch's face is protected so it won't be scratched.
- Push it between the band and the watch clamps using a spring bar tool. The clamps are where the band attaches to the face of the smartwatch.
- Once again, using the spring bar tool, press down on the bar. Then, you pull inwards toward the center of the band. If you have another tool, you can wedge it between the bar and the watch face and pull it inward.
- After that, you should be able to remove the spring bar safely. Along with it is the band.
If you own an Apple Watch, here's how you can remove the band:
- Place your Apple Watch face down over a clean surface. It could be a lint-free microfiber cloth. Or if you don't have that, you can use a soft, padded mat.
- On the bottom of the smartwatch, you will notice two quick-release buttons below where the bands are inserted.
- You hold down the quick-release button and slide out the band to remove it.
- And if for some reason, the band is stuck and you can't get it out, you should make sure you are pressing and holding the button. It would be best if you also were careful not to force the band out, or it could damage the watch.
- Slide your new keeper on. Once you get the band or strap off, you slide the new loop on. If you have a leather or colored band, you can look for a circle with a matching color.
Meanwhile, if you have a heavily tapered strap, there's a possibility that your new loop will not fit over the big end where the strap attaches to the watch. You can take the buckle off and slide the keeper on from that end.
HOW TO FIX YOUR KEEPER
Keepers can sometimes fall off and break. No worries! You can fix your broken watch loop if you don't want to replace it.
- Use glue to fix it. You can use super glue since it works on most materials. If your watchkeeper was glued onto the band and came loose, you can glue it back on.
- Send it for repairs. You're wearing an expensive, unique or sentimental band, and you're worried you won't be able to DIY fix it well. What you should do is have it sent in for repairs. If you want, you can find a leather or watch strap maker who can repair your band.
What's good about having a leather or strap maker to repair it is that they can closely match the band's color and appearance.
However, if you have an official strap from a major brand, you can contact them or an authorized dealer to ask about repairs or a replacement.
If you want to replace your watch band keeper, here's what you should think about before purchasing.
- Measure your watch band or strap before buying a replacement loop. This is to make sure that the keeper fits.
- Make sure you have a spring bar tool. This will help you remove your band if you need to. If you don't have this tool, you can find cheap ones on Amazon. The spring bar tool will be helpful in case you need to replace your keeper or if you want to replace your watch band.
WHAT CAN YOU DO IF IT'S AN EMERGENCY?
Your watchkeeper broke while you're traveling or on your way to work or an event. You don't have a spare loop. You also need more time to send it for repair. What can you do?
You can use a small elastic hair tie. You can use a rubber band or rolled-up duct tape if you don't have that. You can also use a twisty tie from a bread bag.
Another option is to find scrap leather and superglue a new loop. You can also find other materials you could sew or glue as a new loop for your watch band.
Your last resort is to stop by a store and buy the cheapest band or strap you can find. Ensure that the strap you bought has a loop that moves freely along the band. After purchasing it, take the loop off.
WHAT ARE THE LUGS ON A WATCH?
The lug of a watch is the part that attaches to the band. The lug is usually made from metal or plastic and fits into a bar on the side of the watch case. The primary purpose of this piece is to give you something to latch onto when changing your watch strap or bracelet.
Lugs are also designed to be removable in case you need to change your strap for any reason, such as if it's damaged. Some watches have lugs that are fixed in place, but most have some spring-loaded mechanism that allows them to pop off with ease.
The size and shape of your watch's lugs can affect which bands will fit. For example, if you have small lugs, they may not work with specific large straps like those used for dive watches.
WHY DO WATCH STRAPS HAVE TWO LOOPS?
Watch straps have two loops because it allows you to adjust the length of your watch band. The strap is likely too long even when you buy a new watch. This is because you need to consider that the strap will shrink over time due to exposure to the elements and normal wear and tear.
If you want to make it longer, do the opposite. You can shorten your strap by using one of the loops and pulling it through, which will tighten the band around your wrist. The other loop is there in case you need it, but it's usually only used if you're replacing one of your existing straps with something new.
WHAT IS THE BEST APPLE WATCH BAND YOU CAN BUY TODAY?
The following are some of the best Apple Watch bands you can purchase today:NYLON SPORT LOOP FOR APPLE WATCH - Lightweight and breathable, with more than 500 threads of 100% durable nylon intertwined together, this carefully woven Nylon Sport Loop for your Apple Watch is impervious to both tears and abrasions. Perfect for anyone on the go, whether that be on your morning run or a 12-hour shift on the E.R. floor.
SILICONE SPORT BAND FOR APPLE WATCH - Made of soft silicone material with breathable ventilation channels, it handles any activity by reducing moisture build-up while staying comfortable and secure around your wrist.
LEATHER LOOP FOR APPLE WATCH - Manufactured with the finest leather materials and finished with explicit attention to detail, this is the ideal leather loop replacement for your Apple Watch. Its unique design comes with a strong and effective magnetic clasp that is quick and easy to fasten in place and convenient to adjust accordingly.
MILANESE STAINLESS STEEL BAND FOR APPLE WATCH - Easily secure your size. This band is supplied with a unique, strong magnetic closing mechanism that makes it infinitely adjustable, ensuring a perfect fit.
STAINLESS STEEL LINK BRACELET W/ BUTTERFLY LOCK FOR APPLE WATCH - Introducing an elevated, yet understated upgrade for your Apple Watch, this sleek and artistic band is crafted from scratch-resistant stainless steel alloy. Manufactured using a precise machining process, this exquisite essential takes approximately nine hours to cut the links, and each adjustable band is finished off with a butterfly clasp closure for a precise fit.
MILITARY NYLON BAND FOR APPLE WATCH - Soft airy and impressive – this military styled nylon band is a must-have companion for your Apple Watch. Uses a premium grade nylon that is soft, flexible, waterproof and extremely durable. It comes with top-notch connectors and stainless steel metal parts which seamlessly attach with your Apple Watch while providing you with a classic military watch style.
If you found any of this helpful, please share this post to spread the value to other Apple Watch users. Subscribe to our newsletter to learn more about your Apple Watch and receive exclusive deals when our store is having a sale.
*This post contains affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site at no additional cost to you.